A family member caring for aging loved ones is relatively common in Australia. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, there are close to 3 million unpaid carers in the country, almost all of whom are family caregivers supporting their aged or disabled loved ones.
If you are among these people, you know full well that this task can be both rewarding and challenging. You can experience a sense of satisfaction for having the opportunity to give back to your parents and in knowing that you are personally taking care of their needs.
These positive feelings are worth noting, but there are times when you have to be realistic and make an honest assessment if it is time to rely on aged care support services.
What are the Signs That You Need to Consider Employing a Care Worker?
It is important to realize that just because you are contemplating hiring a care worker for your elderly parents does not mean that you are negligent of your duties as a son or daughter. Even the most resilient individual can succumb to the physical and emotional stress of caregiving.
While feeling overwhelmed is normal, you should know when the strain is already affecting your overall wellbeing. If a few of the signs below are true to you, it is time to accept help from a reliable senior home care provider.
- You find yourself overly worried and always anxious;
- You feel exhausted most of the time;
- You have difficulty sleeping or find yourself always sleepy;
- You are losing/gaining weight;
- You feel melancholy;
- You tend to be easily irritated or upset;
- You are no longer interested in things and activities that you usually enjoy;
- You are in constant pain (headaches, muscle cramps, and similar concerns); and
- You tend to use alcohol or drugs to relax.
What are the Advantages of Relying on Elderly Care Support Services?
Most people believe that the best type of care is having family members take care of each other. While this may be true in some cases, it is important to note that hiring a trusted care worker also offers numerous benefits that may not be found in the family caregiving setup.
Benefits for the aging loved ones:
- You can ensure that your parents will receive the right care at the right time since they will be more open to asking help from a senior support worker than from you. A recent study revealed that many seniors are not getting the help they need, especially on urgent matters, because they are hesitant to ask their grown children.
- Your parents will have a non-family member to socialize with, which is crucial to combat depression, boost the immune system, improve cardiovascular health, and maintain overall wellbeing.
Benefits for the family caregiver:
- You can experience improvement in your overall health, considering that you will be relieved of the stress that results in serious medical conditions and mental health issues.
- You can reduce the risk of suffering from depression.
- You can enjoy a respite so that you can interact with your parents cheerfully.
Relying on aged care support services does not mean you are weak or indifferent to the needs of your elderly parents. On the contrary, you are actually doing what is best so that you can continue to support your loved ones and experience the best relationship with them for a long time.