Rehabilitation of cancer patients should be comprehensive, including the use of various methods of treatment and influence. According to modern data, rehabilitation measures should begin in a hospital and, upon discharge from it, continue for at least 1-5 years. During this period many parameters of patients’ lives are assessed and corrected by the diverse means.
Objectives of rehabilitation
The loss of strength makes the patient passive, deprives the will to recover and does not allow to return to the usual lifestyle. However, a well-designed rehabilitation program helps to cope with this. The main goals of cancer rehabilitation:
- Actually, the main goal of rehabilitation in oncology is to improve the quality of life for cancer patients.
- Restorative – full or partial restoration of disability is expected in patients with a favorable prognosis. For example, a patient after a radical mastectomy with lymphostasis of the upper limb.
- Supportive – the disease ends with disability, but it can be reduced by adequate treatment and proper training. For example, a patient with an amputated limb.
- Palliative – with the progression of the disease, it is possible to prevent the development of some complications (pressure sores, contractures, mental disorders).
In which cases rehabilitation is performed
Oncological rehabilitation in Germany is a great support for both the physical and psychological state of the patient. If you need rehabilitation and support, the easiest way is to use the services of Booking Health. Bookinghealth.com will be with you throughout the entire period of treatment and rehabilitation. A rehabilitation program in the best clinics in Germany will be provided to you at the most favorable prices. Thanks to the experienced staff, staying in a foreign country will not cause the discomfort.
The main conditions for undergoing physical rehabilitation for cancer patients are:
- Radicality of the antitumor treatment in terms of the shape of the tumor, its spreading, etc.
- Absence of recurrence and tumor metastases, which should be confirmed by all necessary types of examination.
- Right choice of a physical factor that will not harm this cancer patient, made on the basis of the results of the study with strict observance of indications and contraindications for its use.
Peculiarities of physical therapy in cancer patients
Rehabilitation of cancer patients is carried out both after completion of the main treatment, and between courses of radiation and chemotherapy. Rehabilitation during the treatment process allows patients to cope with the undesirable consequences of therapy and restore strength before the next course.
Main features of physical therapy in cancer patients:
- An individual approach to each patient, taking into account the form, stage of neoplasm, age and related diseases.
- Limited time of the preoperative preparation of the patient.
- The danger of tumor stimulation and metastasizing.
- Therapeutic physical factors (therapeutic muds, baths, high-frequency currents, thermal conditions, etc.) and intense physical activity are contraindicated to cancer patients at all stages of the disease.
- Considering the mental state of the patient due to the nature of the disease.
- For concomitant diseases, sparing methods of physical therapy and physiotherapy (local methods; galvanic current, compression therapy, low-frequency magnetotherapy) are used only on an outpatient basis, after the approval of an oncologist.
Despite a common misconception, oncological diseases are not an absolute contraindication to physiotherapy, massage, medical gymnastics, but only specialists (rehabilitation doctor, physiotherapist) can choose rehabilitation methods. For more information follow the link oncological rehabilitation in Germany.
Cancer rehabilitation techniques in Germany:
- Kinesiotherapy – a method of physical rehabilitation applied in order to increase muscle strength, general stamina, and eliminate motor disorders.
- Ergotherapy – work with an occupational therapist helps patients regain everyday independence, return self-care skills, drive a car.
- Manual lymphatic drainage (lymphatic drainage massage) and massage are effective methods for eliminating edema of the limbs, face and neck. In particular, the methods have shown excellent results in the treatment of lymphedema, severe swelling of the hand after mastectomy.
- Hydrotherapy – classes in the pool and underwater simulators with professional hydrotherapists are aimed at solving problems with movements, eliminating mobility restrictions.
- Work on hi-tech equipment. The hi-tech equipment installed in German centers allows you to start motor rehabilitation as early as possible, even if the patient still cannot stand on his own.
- Speech therapy – correction of dysfunction of swallowing and speech in patients with neurooncological pathology, with head and neck tumors.
- Dietetics, nutritionology – a highly qualified dietitian will select medical nutrition during and after chemotherapy, after operations on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, and a long stay in the intensive care unit.
- Restoration of the functions of the pelvic organs (urination, defecation) in patients with gynecological, oncological diseases or tumors of the central nervous system.
- Restoration of erectile function after prostate cancer.
- Psychotherapeutic support (work with the patient and his relatives), assistance in social and professional adaptation.